Traditional Irish scones are perfect for any occasion.
There’s a secret ingredient to these amazing scones. Kerrygold Butter, our rich, creamy butter will give your scones a marvellous golden hue.
Once you tasted these soft and crumbly scone recipe, you’ll say it’s the best recipe ever!
Traditional Irish Scone Ingredients
- 3 ½ cups (1lb/ 16oz) flour (all-purpose/plain)
- 5 level tsp baking powder
- 1 generous pinch of salt
- ¼ cup (2oz/60g) white sugar
- 1 stick (4oz/ 125g) cold salted butter
- 1 whole egg
- 2oz double cream
- 7oz whole milk
- Milk to glaze
Instructions to make these incredible Irish scones:
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together, mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder
- Rub in the cold butter with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs
- You can add some dried fruit e.g.,. Raisins, berries, citrus rind, chocolate chips add them now before you add liquid
- Mix your egg with the milk and cream and pour into your flour mix (if you don’t have cream you can use only milk)
- With an open hand mix loosely your scone mix until your dough forms. The bowl should be clean from the dough
- Turn your dough onto a floured work surface
- Knead lightly to give your dough a smooth surface
- Pat your dough down with your hand until around 1 inches thick
- With a scone cutter cut out your lovely little scones.
- Put on a baking tray, glaze the tops of your scones with some milk to give them a golden top when baked
- Bake at 350oF (18OoC) for 35 minutes
Have you tried these amazing Irish scones? Or have you tried this exact recipe? Comment below. We will have more Irish recipes coming soon.
Head over to our Irish recipe section for our previous mouth watering recipes.
Other great posts to read
- 30 Irish Pictures That Will Bring A Smile To Your Face
- List Of Every Irish Athlete Qualified For 2016 Olympics
- Guinness Family Selling Their Massive Family Mansion For €28m
- Irish Experts Top 5 Irish Books You Shouldn’t Miss
- Irish People Taste Test Canadian Foods
- The Best Irish Joke Ever, This Is Gold