Beef and Guinness Stew – The perfect one-pot meal to curl up on the couch with!
This is the perfect recipe for your slow cooker/crockpot.
If you love these Irish recipes we send them weekly straight to your inbox on our weekly dose of Irish, sign up here.
Ingredients for this Beef and Guinness Stew recipe:
- 2kg shoulder beef, cut into chunks
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large white onion, finely sliced
- 500ml Guinness
- 200-250ml beef stock
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Olive oil
- Coarse salt & pepper
Method for cooking your Beef and Guinness Stew:
- Heat some oil in a large pot and brown the meat in two batches with a pinch of coarse salt.
- Remove and add to your slow cooker.
- Add another dash of oil to the pan and fry off the onion, carrots and celery, along with the garlic before adding to your slow cooker.
- Pour in the Guinness, and enough stock so that everything is nicely covered in liquid then add the bay leaf and season to taste.
- Cook gently on medium for about 6-8 hours until the liquid has reduced and the meat is tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
My mum’s top tip: If the sauce isn’t thick enough strain the juices into a small saucepan. Mix with some Bisto over a low heat until thickened before adding it back to the rest of the stew!
If you try out this recipe let us know in the comments below.
P.S Get your weekly dose of Irish straight to your inbox for free sign up here.