Traditional Irish Bacon & Cabbage with a twist!
Nicola here from The Wonky Spatula with another Irish recipe this week I’m sharing Traditional Irish Bacon & Cabbage with a Wonky twist. I love putting my own spin on classics, this recipe takes bacon and cabbage to the next level and I am obsessed with it!
It is great as a stand-alone dish and also works well as an addition to your Sunday roast spread.
If you love these Irish recipes we send them weekly straight to your inbox on our weekly dose of Irish, sign up here.
Ingredients for this Traditional Irish Bacon & Cabbage with a Wonky twist recipe:
- 1 piece of Irish boiling bacon, about 500g.
- 2 tbsp honey
- 500g shredded cabbage
- 1 tsp olive oil
Method for cooking your Traditional Irish Bacon & Cabbage with a Wonky twist:
- Place bacon in a large pot and add enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat before draining off all of the water and refilling the pot with fresh water.
- Bring the water to the boil, cover the pot and simmer until the bacon is almost cooked through this will take about an hour.
- Remove bacon from pot, place in an ovenproof dish and allow to rest while you heat your oven.
- Heat your oven to 220°C/425°F.
- Score the fat on the bacon and glaze with 2 tbsp of honey.
- Bake the bacon in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the fat is crispy, golden and delicious!!
- Finally, lightly saute the cabbage in a large pan with the olive oil, serve and enjoy!
If you try out this recipe let us know in the comments below.
P.S Get your weekly dose of Irish straight to your inbox for free sign up here.