Irish stew is a celebrated Irish dish; each household typically has its own family recipe.
This week we are starting off with a straightforward old time classic an Irish stew recipe.
Every Wednesday Nicola will be bringing out a new recipe for you to enjoy. Alternatively, you can join my weekly newsletter here and get it sent straight to your inbox every Friday.
A simple and delicious meal that the entire family can enjoy.
Irish Stew Recipe:
Ingredients for your Irish stew:
- 350g good quality lean lamb pieces
- 1/2 large white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 baby leeks, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into rings
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Handful of fresh parsley & thyme
Method for cooking your Irish stew:
- In a large pot heat the olive oil, add the lamb to brown and season well, adding a splash of water if necessary.
- Once the lamb has sealed, add the onions and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, sweet potato, leek.
- Pour in the stock and the water, bring to the boil and gently simmer for roughly 45 minutes – until the meat and vegetables are tender and cooked through.
- Leave to rest before serving, ideally, this dish should be made a day in advance for maximum flavour.
There you have it, as we said it is a simple recipe which makes things easier.
What other Irish recipes would you like featured by Nicola? Comment below.
We will also have a Pinterest image at the end of every article. So be sure to pin each image every week to your favourite board. You can just simply click the image and press the Pin button.