Dreaming of a delicious and easy shepherd’s pie recipe?
Shepherd’s pie recipe is a fantastic mid-week meal that the family are sure to love!
If you love these Irish recipes we send them weekly straight to your inbox on our weekly dose of Irish, sign up here.
Ingredients for your shepherd’s pie recipe:
- 500g round steak mince or lamb, whichever you prefer
- 1 white onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 250ml beef/lamb stock
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 rooster potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 egg
- Knob of grass-fed butter
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Method for cooking your shepherd’s pie recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 220c/425f.
- Heat a large saucepan with some olive oil and add the onion and carrot, saute for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften before seasoning and adding the nutmeg.
- Next, add the mince and allow to brown gently before stirring in the stock and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook the mixture on a low heat for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables and the meat are fully cooked.
- In the meantime boil the potatoes until they are fully cooked and soft.
- Strain the water off the potatoes and mash them, whisk the egg and add it to the potatoes along with a knob of butter, salt & pepper.
- Add the mince mixture to an ovenproof dish, place the potato on top and spread it across the dish.
- Finally, taking a fork run it up and down the pie in order to create a nice pattern.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30minutes until the potato is golden and crispy, serve and enjoy!
If you try out this recipe let us know in the comments below!