Christmas 2022 is only a few days away and I want to share some lovely Irish Christmas blessings with you. The festive time where we ideally meet family and celebrate the holidays together.
So why do Irish people use Irish Christmas blessings?
Irish Christmas blessings are often intended to bring good fortune and health in the next year.
But importantly they are a nice addition to anyone’s Christmas day.
On Christmas Day, many people in Ireland gather with their families for a large lunch. A toast or blessing might be said in honour of loved ones who are no longer with us. In addition, cards and gifts are exchanged.
I have dug up 10 lovely, old Irish Christmas blessings.
10 Irish Christmas Blessings
- An Irish Christmas blessing
May peace and plenty be the first
To lift the latch at your door
And happiness be guided to your home
By the candle of Christmas.
God’s blessings and peace be yours throughout
This New Year.
2. May the good saints protect you and bless you today. And may trouble ignore you each step of the way. Christmas joy to you!
3. May the Blessings of Christmas be with you,
May the Christ Child light your way,
May God’s holy angels guide you,
And keep you safe each day.
4. Nollaig faoi shéan is faoi shaonas duit! – A happy and prosperous Christmas to you.
5. Beannachtaí na Nollag duit! – The blessings of Christmas be with you
6. “Wexford Carol” – Not technically an Irish Christmas blessing but it is such an exquisite carol, for myriad reasons, and this is a superb rendition . Enjoy.
7. Irish Christmas blessing – The light of the Christmas star to you
The warmth of a home and hearth to you
The cheer and good will of friends to you
The hope of a childlike heart to you
The joy of a thousand angels to you
The love of the Son and
God’s peace to you
8. May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night and the road downhill all the way to your door!
9. Bless the bowl, bless Irish land and bless God this wonderful Christmas morning. As the sun rises gold, Over the Emerald Isle, May your oat’s hot steam, Nourish your Irish smile.
And may you be thankful, to Him who fills your bowl, warms your heart, and soothes your soul.
10. A lovely Irish blessing – “May the songs of the season rise to greet you. May the winter wind be always at your back.
May the frost shimmer soft upon your fields. And, until we meet again, May the love of God shine warm upon your home.”
I hope you have enjoyed these lovely Irish blessings and the one Irish carol. Be sure to share with a family member and have a brilliant Christmas.